The Pelagos Sanctuary is a marine territory of 87,500 km2 in the waters of the Principality of Monaco, France and Italy, the three states being signatories of the Pelagos Agreement. The Sanctuary is home to a remarkable biodiversity, with many species of marine mammals such as dolphins, cachalots, and fin whales.
The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, the WWF, the IUCN and MedPAN have joined forces to create the Pelagos Initiative to support the protection of this unique area.
The Pelagos Initiative’s objectives are highlighted in the Final draft of the Pelagos Agreement Management Plan (2022-2027).
The Initiative’s first call for projects is based on the following themes:
- Pelagos fights against pollution
- Mitigation of all types of pollution (chemical and noise pollution, pathogens, plastics), also related to seasonal tourism.
- To make ports sustainable
- Pelagos slow travel
- Mitigation measures to prevent collisions and awareness-raising
- Sustainable boating and tourism
- Communication, awareness-raising and training
- Assessment of the status of species, ecosystems and anthropogenic pressures
- Sustainable fisheries
To apply submit an application, review the eligibility criteria below:
- Projects must be located within the Pelagos Sanctuary. Priority will be given to projects covering at least 2 countries,
- Projects must be consistent with the themes of the Final draft of the Pelagos Agreement Management Plan (2022-2027)
- Priority will be given to projects with the will to create synergies (between countries, between MPAs, between themes, between actors…)
- Project funding cannot exceed 75% of the total project budget.
Two levels of support are possible:
- Support ranging from 10,000€ to 30,000€ for projects with a maximum total budget of 100,000€ and a duration of 12 months to 2 years maximum:(use application form 1 (AF1))
- Support ranging from 50,000€ to 70,000€ for projects with a maximum total budget of 300.000€ and a duration of 2 to 3 years maximum (use application form 2 (AF2) & Budget Table)